Touchstone Institute is the largest assessment centre of its kind in Canada. We provide professional competency assessment and learning programs primarily focused on meeting the needs of internationally educated health professionals.
By the Numbers
We work to facilitate entry to training or practice for internationally educated health care professionals (IEHPs) by administering examinations to ensure examinees meet Canadian standards and by providing learning programs to help health professionals transition to training and practice in Canada.
Over 4000 IEHP’s access Touchstone Institute services annually
Working with 6 different health professions including: Nurses, Physicians, Laboratory Professionals, Optometrists, Dietitians, and Nurse Practitioners
Administering assessments in 7 jurisdictions across Canada
We are a unique organization with many factors contributing to our success, including:
- A state of the art facility to run large-scale programming
- A database of over 1000 local individuals who have been recruited and trained to act as standardized patients
- Tablet assessment technology that can support large-scale Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) exams and Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCEs)
- A roster of dedicated and experienced full time staff to deliver programming and administer examinations
- Established relationships with regulators and professional associations, providing access to experts in many professional fields
What We Offer
Medical residency is the continuation of training for family medicine and all other medical specialties. Our Learning Programs offer orientation that prepares international medical graduates (IMGs) and visa trainees from various training backgrounds for a successful transition into residency in the Canadian healthcare context.
Our programs are developed with the support of Ontario’s medical schools, and in consultation with physicians from various specialties and communities throughout Ontario. The goal is to identify and fill gaps that may exist between university programs provided to Canadian medical graduates and training that IMGs have received outside Canada in preparation for residency. Sessions are delivered by consulting physicians and medical educators from across Ontario and include many scenarios using our simulated clients as an integral component of the learning experience.
Our programming utilizes a variety of learning modalities - including lectures, simulations and small group work - to not only address learning types and needs but also to capture the diverse patient care needs in Ontario.
Touchstone Institute currently offers three types of education programs:
- Pre-Residency Program (PRP) – Mandatory orientation program for international medical graduates who have been accepted into an Ontario specialty residency program.
- Pre-Residency Program – Family Medicine (PRP-FM) – Orientation program for international medical graduates who have been accepted into an Ontario family medicine residency program. These two weeks of Family Medicine specific programming are in addition to completion of the PRP.
- Canadian Medicine Primer (CMP) – Orientation program offered to visiting fellows and to residents studying in Canada under visa arrangements.
What We Offer
Touchstone Institute specializes in designing and administering written and clinical exams that reliably assess the competencies of health professionals educated both internationally and in Canada, as well as their readiness for practice in Canadian jurisdictions. Our exams help regulatory colleges understand and evaluate the knowledge, skills and experience of examinees.
Touchstone Institute is entrusted with the development and administration of high‐stakes competency assessments on behalf of several regulatory boards.
Exams created by Touchstone Institute are constructed and validated by our in-house experts, who work in collaboration with practising health professionals and experts in healthcare from universities, professional colleges and regulatory bodies. We work closely with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to develop OSCE stations and written exams and have a commitment to ongoing development of content and test forms.